Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

News Flash!

Friday, December 01, 2006


In an upset the size of the great state of Texas (which my good, bloggy, coupon-sharing friend, Jeana at Days To Come happens to proudly call home), a Minnesota woman bravely faced seemingly insurmountable odds and beat them to a pulp when she reigned victorious over the NaNoWriMo challenge Thursday evening at approximately 10:40 pm.

"I wasn't sure I could do it, especially after that little guilt streak I encountered mid-month. I didn't write at all for a week!" said the victor who calls herself "Geekwif".

Her beloved husband, who also faced the challenge bravely, but was overcome by long work hours and the acquisition of a new Playstation game stated, "I told her she could do it. She didn't believe me, but I knew she could do it."

Geekwif, whose draft is only half complete despite passing the 50,000 word mark, described her story as "a modern day fairy tale with a twist of fantasy". She accredits her husband with giving her the opportunity to complete her novel by taking over the responsibility of tending their puppy, Raz for the night so that she could write unhindered. "He is my sweet Geek," she said with an affectionate smile on her tired face. "If it weren't for him, I could not have written those last 6000 words."

With that, she turned and walked away without another word. Apparently this interview is over, and she is going back to bed.

7 Comments:

At 12/01/2006 6:13 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Too funny!

 
At 12/01/2006 11:11 AM, Blogger Kelli in the Mirror wrote:

Congratulations on finishing!! I signed up and wrote... nothing. Unless blogs count. :)

 
At 12/01/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Carmi wrote:

Way to go! That 6,000-word writing jag right at the end sounds like a hoot.

I have to deliver a similar amount for work on a regular basis - hence my non-participation in this blogging event. But I know what it feels like to have to deliver on deadline (journalist's curse, apparently) and your stomach never really gets over it. That mix of nervousness, panic and adrenalin....ahhhhh.

It's a wonderful feeling when you're done.

 
At 12/03/2006 5:58 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Way to go! Woot!

 
At 12/05/2006 3:58 PM, Blogger Julie Carobini wrote:

Ooooh, you should write Geek-lit! Funny, stuff--congrats :)

 
At 12/09/2006 1:15 AM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

woo hooo! and you did it with an extra 20 words to spare. way to go!

 
At 12/14/2006 12:21 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Have I told you how proud of you I am? No? Shame on me! I am soooo proud of you! Way to go, girl!

Oh, and love the "reporter on the street" presentation...

I finally blogged. And I think you will be surprised.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home