Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Never Again

Tuesday, January 02, 2007


She’s back. My Mac laptop, that is. Actually she’s been back for quite a while now, but I’ve been a little preoccupied, a little tired, a little in need of a break. I think I’m ready to be back now. I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and a delightful New Year while I was gone.

She (Mac) had a brain (a.k.a. hard drive) transplant, and came back with more than a little amnesia. It was all my fault and I’m perfectly willing to admit it. I didn’t back her up. She didn’t remember anything that had happened since I bought her. I had to start fresh with the stuff from my old Mac desktop, which fortunately I had not sold, given away, or formatted.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that there was a month’s worth of stuff in her head between the time I bought her and the time she lost her mind. There were little losses like Firefox bookmarks and checkbook entries.

There were also big losses like my NaNoWriMo novel. I’m getting over it...sort of. I knew it would need to be re-written anyway, but it really would have been nice to have something to start from.

Anyway, the point is that I’m back, and so is my Mac, and now I have a shiny new firewire drive on which to backup my entire hard drive so that this will never ever happen again. It cost a bit of money, but it’s totally worth it.

2 Comments:

At 1/03/2007 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Hi...Snow's Mom here....glad she's feeling better - I can now quietly reacquaint myself with evesdroping on your life again...

 
At 1/04/2007 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear about the amnesia, but at least everything's not completely lost.

I just got a Mac laptop after using Dell for years. I love it so far!
Camy

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home