Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Adventures In Snow

Sunday, February 25, 2007


(Click on the photos below to see an enlarged version.)

About 3:30 yesterday afternoon, it finally got to the point where it was snowing pretty good. This is what it looked like then. After that it didn't stop until sometime early this morning.

Fortunately this time it was "real" snow, as opposed to that weird snow cone stuff from yesterday. (Which Jeana tells me is what they call snow in Texas.)

Like a kid, I was hoping for more than the weatherman forecasted. I realize how silly this is. The only real reason I could think of for wanting more snow is if it was enough to get us out of work tomorrow. Around here, that would take at least 30 inches. They're pretty efficient when it comes to snow removal.

We ended up pretty much right in the range the weather guys predicted. The Geek went out to shovel today and said that it's about 13 inches deep. When he put the shovel in, the snow came right up to the top edge of the shovel. Nothing to write home about, though apparently enough to blog about.

I'm tempted to go out and build a snowman today, if only to time how long it takes Raz to destroy it. She is loving this snow. The Geek put the shovel up against the garage when he was done. I'm sitting here in the kitchen and just a few minutes ago I saw her prancing proudly down the sidewalk carrying the shovel in her mouth.

I'm having a lazy snowy morning, so I'm still in pajamas and slippers. I threw on a coat and, still wearing my slippers, ran outside to rescue the shovel. I brought a piece of hot dog with me – her favorite treat – hoping to entice her. The hot dog was no match for the shovel. She just laid there in the snow staring at me, keeping her beloved new toy close by. I stepped out further. She grabbed the shovel and ran.

I chased her back and forth for a while. She seemed to get that I was staying on the freshly shoveled sidewalk and she kept in the deep part, well out of my reach. I decided on a new tactic. I set the hot dog down on the sidewalk where she could see it. Her brown puppy eyes moved back and forth between me and the hot dog, the shovel still safely in her mouth. I stepped a few steps back, ready to pounce when she did.

She stepped carefully up to the hot dog and was just about ready to drop the shovel for the tasty morsel, but I made my move too soon. She saw me moving toward her and carried her shovel across the sidewalk into the safety of the deep snow. I stepped back again. She looked at me. She looked at the hot dog. She dropped the shovel in the deep snow and made a run for the hot dog. I took two big steps, reached for her collar...and missed.

So now the dog is outside playing with the shovel. I'm hoping she won't destroy it. Ha! I should know better. There is nothing she can't destroy if she is determined enough, and she has a plethora of determination running through her veins.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any blankets made out of steel? She's managed to go through about five of the more traditional cloth-type blankets now.

I think I'll go get dressed, and go rescue me a shovel...wearing boots this time.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 2/25/2007 3:48 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

"what we call snow in Texas"--in that it's the only thing that remotely resembles snow that we ever get. Kind of like breaking 90 degrees is what they call a heat wave up there?

I remember the first time I heard someone who had gone skiing referring to the "powder", and I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. Here powder come in a canister with holes in the top, and it says Johnson & Johnson on the side.

Glad you go some real snow--whatever that is!

 
At 2/25/2007 7:10 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

We got four inches today, which was enough to let my dog go out and play. My son and I had a snowball fight after we shovelled the drive. It was a good snow.

 
At 2/26/2007 6:50 PM, Blogger Debra wrote:

Snow always looks cozier and nicer when it's at someone else's house. :) What a funny dog you have! Thanks for sharing your snow and your day with us... Blessings, Debra

 
At 2/28/2007 4:15 PM, Blogger shellibells wrote:

Being the closest thing to "essential service" we would have to have 12 feet + like New York got and MAYBE we'd get to stay home, but i love the snow just for the snow...and it still gives me the right to drive slow to work and be late if i have to cuz "safety comes first" lol. (even tho i have 4wd- i still dont' drive like an arse)
I love the snow. Hope you enjoyed it.

Shelli

 
At 2/28/2007 10:01 PM, Blogger scribbit wrote:

Maybe if you sewed together some steel wool pads into a blanket. . .

:)

 
At 3/07/2007 8:22 PM, Blogger scribbit wrote:

Just checking in, evidently you're snowed in. :)

 
At 3/16/2007 10:36 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

So we have proof that Raz is one smart dog! Not that we didn't already know this. I was cracking up from the post and read it to Champs. Thanks for quoting me, BTW. Oh, and I'm sorry I'm just now reading this. Does ignorance count? I honestly didn't realize it had been this long since I stopped by - but then again, I finally posted today and my last post before that was on 3/1! In fact, the only blog I've checked in the intervening time was Jenna's for the book club. sigh.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home