Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

One Of Those Annoying Random Thoughts Posts

Thursday, February 08, 2007


Strange Winter Phenomena
It's cold here in Minnesota – really, really cold. I'm talking 16 degrees below 0 in the sun kind of cold. Now, in the schools I attended as a child they taught us that the freezing point of water is 32 degrees farenheit; so, it was a bit of a surprise when I realized one day that there were giant puddles of water (nearly big enough to call ponds) in the parking lot at work with not even so much as a thin sheet of ice over the top.

Hello? It's like 40 degrees below freezing here! How is that possible? My Geek tells me it's because of all the salt they use on the lot. It raises the temperature of the water or something like that, and keeps it from freezing.

Yeah, whatever. It's weird.

Then, I got to work one day. The sky was clear, it had not rained or snowed, and it was scary below zero...and there was a rainbow...in the sky...with no rain...in the winter.

Weird.


Celebrity Obsession
I was listening to talk radio on my way home today and they were talking about a certain celebrity who died today. I'm sure you heard about it and I'm not going to go into detail because, while it's very sad, it's not what this is about. They were interviewing some girl who happened to be at the hospital with her sister at the time the deceased was brought in. She told what she saw and exclaimed excitedly that she had taken a picture of the ambulance.

America has a sick, sick, sick obsession with celebrities. There's nothing more I can say about that. It's just sick.


Speaking of Sick...
Yesterday I wasn't feeling well. In fact I felt really crummy. I wasn't sick, I just felt really crummy. I'm sure any women reading this post have now figured out why I felt really crummy.

I had requested the afternoon off for an appointment the Geek and I had at a showroom to pick out bathroom/kitchen fixtures, but I really didn't feel well enough to go to work even just for the morning, so I called in sick. No details. I just left a message for my boss saying I wasn't feeling well and wouldn't be in.

Today, as I was leaving, I passed him in the hall. He asked if I was feeling better and I told him I was. And then, the dreaded, obligatory question...

"So what was it, a cold?"

I mumbled something about it being a fluish thing, while cringing inside knowing that he would either:
a) believe me outright, which I doubt.
b) think I was lying and just wanted the whole day off.
c) figure out what really was going on and my secret would be out.

I figure since he has a wife the answer is probably c), though he was nice enough to act like he believed me.

So why are people so obsessed with the details of a person's sickness? Why can't they just understand that I wasn't feeling well and the details are my business only?


A Confession
You might want to sit down for this one.

I want gray hair. Really. I haven't always felt that way. When my hairdresser found my first gray a couple years ago and yanked it before displaying it to me and exclaiming how wiry it was, I freaked out a little. (Actually, that linked post is from my second gray hair which I found a year ago.) I've been warming up to the idea since then. In fact, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

There are a few here and there on my head now – probably few enough that I could count them all on one hand. I used to say that once I started going gray I would die my hair at least until I was 45. After that I left the option open to just go gray. I've changed my mind. If I start going gray, I'll let it be (and I'm nowhere near 45 yet). My grandma had pretty white hair. If I can have the same I would be delighted. Really, white is so much prettier than medium mousy brown, don't you think?

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 2/09/2007 11:28 AM, Blogger shellibells wrote:

I hate the cold, but I'm not complaining now. It's in the teens here, and in Maine last week when I visited it was 6 below. I'm all set with cold. I'll take the teens with a smile.

 
At 2/09/2007 7:25 PM, Blogger gem wrote:

Congratulations! I know why you are sick and it made me sick, too, most of the time. That's terrible you don't feel like you can tell your boss though. As for going gray, and wanting to go gray, well, you're on your own. I don't do gray well. So it's heavy highlights for me.

 
At 2/09/2007 10:58 PM, Blogger Jenny wrote:

You, too? (With grays.) I'm getting them and pondering them and thinking they might be better than my brown, too, not vowing to exterminate them with dye. But I'm not necessarily welcoming them, yet. ... Glad to find someone out there who's "warming up to the idea." Maybe I can too. (Found you by way of Jeana.)

 
At 2/10/2007 8:10 PM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

I wish my wife would just go gray. I'm tired of her plucking them out. For years, my wife and I joked about how my sister looks and acts like ANS. I'm sorry she died so young and that poor kid is going to have an even rougher life than normal.

 
At 2/12/2007 1:00 AM, Blogger scribbit wrote:

You have every ounce of my sympathy over the weather. We lived in Grand Forks, ND for three years and I still remember the 40 below standing temperature with the wind chill that pushed it to 90 below. We managed apartments while going to school and had to go out and snow blow in blizzards that were brutal. We'd tell people we were leaving to move where it was warm --Alaska.

 
At 2/13/2007 1:26 PM, Blogger Judy wrote:

Hey! My husband saw a double rainbow. Same scenerio, too.

But, in Michigan.

Where it is also COLD.

 
At 2/14/2007 4:15 PM, Blogger Debra wrote:

Just dropping by to wish you a happy Valentine's Day! (Grey hair??) :) Blessings, Debra

 
At 2/14/2007 8:33 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Wow... I just realized that I didn't comment to this yet. I've read it like, five times, but didn't comment. Sorry!

Happy V-day to you and the Geek. May you have many, many, many more!

Oh, and I am jealous of the fact that you didn't get snow... they still haven't plowed our street!

 
At 2/15/2007 8:53 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Have I missed something? Are you typing your entries in invisible HTML? BLOG,Lady!

P.s. love you and miss you always!

 
At 2/17/2007 1:09 AM, Blogger scribbit wrote:

Whenever I hear that someone I know is sick or in the hospital or has had some medical thing going on I'm always torn. I want to show appropriate concern and let them know I care about their health by asking what was wrong, but then I DO NOT want to be nosy, especially when so many medical things are personal. I usually end up saying something lame like, "what was wrong--if you want to tell me I'd love to know but gosh if it's personal I totally don't want to pry and I'll just let you know I'm hoping you get better . . . " You know, where I'm so busy sticking my foot gracefully in my mouth that the other person pities me instead of being embarrassed about having had hemmoroid surgery or something like that. :) I'm smooth I tell you.

 
At 2/21/2007 11:07 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

exactly!! i think white is tres elegant!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home