Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

What Kind Of Sicles?

Sunday, February 18, 2007


When we first brought Razzie home, she was an eight-week-old, cute-as-a-button, roly-poly little puppy, and she was far from house-trained. As any of you who have house-trained a puppy know, the training process involves lots of patience, paper towels, disinfectant, love, attention, and leash time.

Every time she needed to go outside (which was more often determined by us than by her in those early days) we would put on our shoes, attach her leash, and take her out for a walk around the yard. It was the only way to: a) be sure she didn't slip under the gate and get out of the yard, and b) be sure she actually did her business before coming back in.

By the time winter came around, she was ready to go out on her own. (Convenient, eh?) She was big enough to not be able to squeeze under the gates anymore, and she was finally (mostly) house-trained. This went pretty well, except for one problem. We got way too lax about picking up the poo, and the yard became quite the mine field.


The thought crossed my mind a couple of times that we might want to deal with this soon. Not only could it be embarassing if someone were to visit, but it was certain to be pretty stinky when spring came around and things started thawing. But that was just the thing. Spring wasn't coming any time soon. The ground was (and still is) frozen hard, as was the poo, and the frigid, below zero temperatures were certainly no motivation for spending time outside cleaning up.

Ironically enough, the dog herself provided our motivation.
She came in one day and I noticed her breath smelled really nasty. (I know you dog-owners know where I'm going with this, but I'm doing it anyway!) I gave her a doggy treat to eliminate the smell, but it wasn't long before we discovered the source. She started trying to bring in "treats" with her when she came inside. The funny thing is that she used to avoid the "treats" she left behind like the plague. She'd get one sniff of them, shake her head and walk well around them. Apparently when frozen, they become a tasty treat. (eeeeewww!) A friend gave these treats a name for us - poopsicles!

So yesterday, we finally did it. We took a bag out and a couple of shovels and started picking up frozen poopsicles. It was an icky, stinky job and I won't tell you how many bags we filled, but it's done now. Hopefully this will improve Razzie's breath too. Plus, I'll be willing to accept puppy kisses again. Yes, they were verboten for a while.


And one more benefit? When the weather turns nice and
springy warm this week, we won't have to plug our noses and make a mad dash through the yard. Come about 32 degrees, it would have been a pretty stinky walk!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2/20/2007 12:09 AM, Blogger Jenny wrote:

Eeeeewww is right! My kids so rarely see icicles, they've just gotta pop 'em in their mouths when they do. But, um, I think they'd pass on those!

 
At 2/20/2007 5:44 AM, Blogger yellojkt wrote:

Yuck. My dog has never eaten doo, but we didn't raise him from a puppy. Sometimes it's a sign of a vitamin deficiency. I would definitely brak him of that habit. Our dog eats ice cubes as a "business" reward.

btw, that dog is mighty cute.

 
At 2/21/2007 9:57 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

ok, that is just too funny! I've seen dogs go for cat poo (iggy!) but never their own.
When you started to write about this, I was thinking, "you should get Mike Row from Dirty Jobs to come and help you!" but then I remembered that you dont' have cable and haven't seen the show. I'm telling you... the Geek would love it and you would probably enjoy it, too... not to mention having him clean up after Raz instead of you!

 
At 2/21/2007 11:02 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

poopsicles... ew!

we need to do the same thing in our yard. and it was 70 degrees today... :O

 
At 2/21/2007 11:08 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

VERY cute puppy!

 
At 2/22/2007 12:14 AM, Blogger scribbit wrote:

My children keep begging for a dog--it even came up at dinner tonight. "Mom, what kind of dog could I have if you let me have a dog."

"We're not getting a dog."

"But if you DID, what would it be?"

"This is pointless . . ."

"Oh come on"

You get the idea, it's the topic of conversation that just won't die I'm afraid. But I've got my hands full with four kids without adding a cute little dog to the mix. Yours is sure sweet looking though!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home