Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Thursday Thirteen #20

Thursday, March 29, 2007



Thursday Thirteen
Thirteen Things I'd Like To Grow In My Next Garden


1. Crimson King Maple Tree - My Grandma had one in her backyard and I always loved those beautiful dark red leaves. Hers grew in a wide pattern like it was stretching it's arms out to welcome you, instead of the typical tall pattern, but either way, I would love to have one in my own yard.

2. Old Man Willow Tree - This is more something the Geek wants than me, but I do think they are beautiful. Of course, it's really just a Weeping Willow tree, but being Tolkien fans, it will without a doubt be called Old Man Willow.

3. Birch Trees - There are two small Birch trees on Ithilien right now. I hope to add more. They are so graceful and whispery.

4. Flowering Crabapple Trees - Those lush blooms in spring are too much to pass up.

5. Apple Trees - Shiny apples of many colors. Sweet and tart for making pies or eating right off the tree. Yummy!

6. Double White Lilacs - My first experience with these was at my current house. They are the most beautiful lilacs I have ever seen and I must have some in my new garden!

7. Heirloom Roses - I love them all. The big fat ones with seemingly millions of petals packed tightly, which remind me for some reason of Jane Austen novels. Or the sparse ones with only a single round of petals; simple, but not by any means lacking in beauty.

8. Peonies, Peonies, and more Peonies! - I adore peonies. I don't think I have ever seen a peony I didn't immediately fall head over heels in love with.

9. Simple white Daisies - sweet and smiling

10. Lilies of the Valley - I want to hide them in little corners here and there where they will peek out from under another plant like tiny fairies jumping out to surprise you.

11. Grapes - Whether eating them or drinking them, I love grapes.

12. Raspberries - Sweet and tart and pretty besides. Hopefully I can keep the birds from eating them all!

13. Lots and lots of veggies! - There is just nothing like the taste of fresh vegetables picked from your own garden...nothing.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!






Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3/30/2007 9:19 PM, Anonymous Holymama! wrote:

i love this list! my elementary school had crabapples, and every year lots of kids would get in trouble (and others injured) when they failed to resist the urge to hurl a crabapple at someone. fun!

 
At 3/30/2007 9:46 PM, Blogger Julie Q. wrote:

I love the whole Jane Austen, English garden rose scene. Lovely.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home