Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Erik the Bike Man

Saturday, December 01, 2007


I despise local television advertisement. It's not that I don't want my local businesses to have the opportunity to hawk their wares. It's just that you rarely ever see a decent local commercial. They are always poor quality. The owners, who are clearly not actors and terrified of the camera, always stare at the screen like deer in headlights while reading the text in a horribly unnatural monotone. I could go on and on.

Here in my neck of the woods, however, there is one shining exception. The following, in my opinion, may just be the most brilliant commercial ever made. Just check it out.



Now think about it.
  • It's got bright flashy colors and attention grabbing lyrics.
  • The sing-songy "Erik the Bike Man" bit is an extremely memorable hook, but it doesn't make you cringe. Quite the contrary. The Geek and I do our best impression every time we see a company billboard, truck, or store, and then we bust out laughing.
  • It's fun and playful, but not obnoxious.
  • It's got just the right amount of campiness to be fun without feeling amateur.
  • Best of all, the owner, who looks very much like an ordinary guy and not a smarm-bag, makes a very brief appearance and says just one quirky line – just enough to let potential customers see the face behind the company without letting him ruin his own commercial.
It's the epitome. Seriously, whoever made this commercial should write a book for local business-owners who want to make their own commercials. And then they should all read it. It would save me a lot of headaches in the future.

P.S. This was written before we moved when we still had TV. Since we now have 2 house payments until we sell the old house, we're finding creative ways to cut back. Out here in the boonies you can't get network TV without having satellite, which we opted not to have. I have not seen a single TV commercial in over 3 weeks. With this exception of a very few gems out there, like this one, that makes the Geekwif a very happy girl. And honestly, the TV? Haven't missed it a bit.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12/02/2007 1:18 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

oh yeah, love that jingle. I've been singsonging "erik. the bike. man." for years now. Aaaannnnd, I love that they put Haro bikes as one of their good brands... makes me feel good about my 12 year old, 400 bike hanging from the rafters of my garage... lol

oh, and unlike you, being here at my mom's, I've seen more network tv in the last five months than in the last three years combined. I'm getting sick of it, truth to tell....

 
At 5/30/2011 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

I'm boycotting Erik's forever for their painful advert. And if I can find the ad company that produced this swill, I'll boycott all of their other customers as well.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home