Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Why Dialup Works For Me

Friday, November 16, 2007


I have been without internet access for the past two and a half weeks. Well, except for at work, but since I'm really not supposed to get online for personal stuff at work (though I might just check my email now and then, but don't tell, okay?) I have been blog-less and comic-less and everything else important on the web-less for over two weeks. My only other respite from my internet-deprived world has been Friday night dinner at the local Embers which happens to have Wi-Fi. But when you've been without for two weeks, one hour of internet doesn't really cut it.

But I have hope at last! The Geek brought home a nifty little PC that can be used as a dial-up server connected to our wireless network which should allow me to get online. And if I ask real nice like, he might even set it up this weekend! I can't wait!

By the way, for those of you who actually know my phone number, if you're trying to call me from this point on and can't get through, I'm probably online. Dial-up, remember it? It's that thing your parents had once upon a time that got you online but took over your telephone and moved really really slow. But you know what? Dialup means that I'm online, and it means that I'm living in the country, and that makes it okay with me.

So if you need to find me, that's probably where I'll be. Online for the next two weeks straight to make up for the past two weeks of web deprivation...and the past six months of blog deprivation.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11/17/2007 1:12 AM, Blogger Thumper wrote:

Pour Coke into the modem. The caffeine makes it run faster. For reals! ;)

 
At 11/19/2007 9:43 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

You and Princsiss... both of you moved to the country, lost your highspeed, your good cell phone connections and your internet. I feel like the only consistent female connection I have left is my mom. sigh.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home