Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

My Poor Old Car

Wednesday, December 05, 2007


I hinted in an earlier post that our move out to the country may have involved some drama. I’ll get to that one of these days, but for now, the past day-and-a-half has involved enough drama of its own.

We’ve had quite a bit of snow this week. Not huge, mind-blowing, stuck in your house amounts of snow; just enough to make the roads slick and the traffic so slow the tortoise looks speedy.

Now that we’ve moved, we have two houses – one in the city, which is not far from my workplace, and the new one out in the country. Since the city requires that home-owners shovel their sidewalks within 24 hours after a snow or risk paying the city $100 to do it for them, I decided to spend my lunch break shoveling snow at the city house. After shoveling the sidewalk, I got in my car and turned the key.

Nothing.

I tried the lights, the radio, the wipers – all fine. I turned the key again.

Nothing. Not a peep. Not even a click.

So, I grabbed my stuff and headed into the house, thankful for a warm-ish place to sit while I dealt with this mess. The sad part is that I’ve done this so much lately that it really didn’t phase me much.

Two hours later a tow-truck picked up myself and my car and transported us to the mechanic of my choice. By this time I had figured out that I wouldn’t be going back to work, and had left a message for my boss to that effect, bumming while I did so since was just out for two days last week getting my car fixed.

After an hour, the mechanic had good news and bad news for me. Good news: it wouldn’t cost me a penny since it was the starter which was still under warranty. Bad news: they couldn’t get the part until the next morning.

Sigh.

So, my dear sweet Geek came to my rescue, driving an hour out of his way to get to me and then two hours home to the country. Our poor Razzie puppy had been in her kennel for 14 hours by the time we got home, and yet the floor was still dry. Much praise was lavished upon her for her amazing feats of bladderly strength.

This morning, in order to get us both to work on time, we got up at 4:30 (which in my book is still night time – morning doesn’t start until at least 5:00), left before 5:00, and the Geek dropped me off at my parents’ house. My mom then took me to work at the appropriate time, and picked me up in the evening and took me to the garage to get my car. With traffic as it is, I got home at 7:00.

Whew!

So, in the past week and a half, I have gotten new brake pads and rotors, a new starter, new tires, and a few other minor things. And we’re making two house payments. Fun.

If you know anyone who wants to buy a cute house in a really dangerous lovely, family-oriented neighborhood, let me know. I could use the money to pay for car repairs. Come to think of it, I think I’ll use it to just buy a new car.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home