Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Our New Home

Sunday, December 02, 2007


I've been promising pictures of the new house, and now that I have found the cable to upload photos from my camera and have internet access at home, I can finally make good on that promise.

Photos of the construction process can be found on our Dome Geeks blog. Here are the photos of the house as it looks today.

The laundry room is also the entry from our garage. With shoes and coats and a pretty large washer and dryer, there's not much room left in here. We considered leaving it white, but that pretty green makes it so much more welcoming. And I just have to say...I adore my new front-loading washer and dryer.


The master bedroom is next to the laundry room. Say "hi" to YoYo! (Isn't he cute.) There's pretty much always a kitty (or two or three) on the bed.

We painted this room what we thought was a nice olive green, but it turned out not so olive. The olive/gold curtains don't match very well now, but I think I can make it work with a little finesse here and there. I'm considering a special paint treatment (been watching old taped episodes of Trading Spaces and getting inspired), and we're going to put up crown molding. Of course, a headboard and some artwork will help a lot too.


The bathroom is the same color as the laundry room. I know, it looks like every room in this house is green but it's not. Just these first three rooms. You can't see it all in this photo, but while this bathroom isn't huge, it is way bigger than our old one.


This is the view into the great room as you come down the hall. I just love that vaulted ceiling. We chose a warm yellow for this whole area – kitchen, dining, living room, and hallway. The Geek is going to try his hand at some wood-working and make us a grand book case for that spot where the picture is. The books displayed on the existing shelves are only a minuscule representation of all the books we own and we need more space.


The kitchen is wonderful. I have never had this much storage space in a kitchen before. It's great. I actually have some space that isn't being used yet. And the island? It rocks. Perfect place to roll out a pie crust. I love it. Oh, and I think all kitchens should be yellow. It's just so happy.


The dining room is a little bare yet. The table is borrowed from the Geek's grandparents so we would have room for guests on Thanksgiving. Yup, that's right. We hosted Thanksgiving this year just a few weeks after we moved in. We were determined to do so, since we hadn't really been able to host anything for the past two years with all our stuff in storage.

The office isn't ready for use yet, so this room is sort of serving as a temporary office as well. Thus the computers and computer equipment on the tables.


And last, but not least, our living room. We just got the tree today from a tree farm just a few miles away. We were like two giddy little kids out there searching for the right tree. The blue tote holds our Christmas decorations which I haven't seen in two years. We'll be decorating tomorrow. I can't wait.

So there it is! The grand tour of the Geek and Geekwif's new home. We are so happy to be out in the country. Oh, and if you are wondering why this isn't a dome home, check out this explanation. We still hope to build a dome someday, but it just didn't work out at this time and living in the country was more important to us than building a dome. Even though it isn't what we had planned for, we are more than happy here. It's a great house and will be a lovely home for years to come.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12/02/2007 9:26 PM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

It's beautiful! I'm so happy for you!

 
At 12/03/2007 7:15 AM, Blogger Leanne wrote:

It's so inviting - now you KNOW I want to see the outside! Do you have mature trees?

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home