Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Another Homemade Christmas Gift

Thursday, January 17, 2008


This is another project I made for a Christmas gift using a thrift store purchase. It really inexpensive and plain, but a few simple changes made it special.

It started out as just the wrought iron "cage" top part on a wooden base. The wood was unpainted, but it was not very nice wood. If it had been nice I would have left it natural, but instead I painted it in a vanilla color. I gave it 2 or 3 coats and then gave it a "Shabby Chic" look using steel wool and a brillo pad. The steel wool really took the paint off nicely, and the brillo pad buffed out the scratchiness left by the steel wool.Then I added some greenery and berries I had in my stash of craft stuff. I just taped the stems together with floral tape and hot glued them to the base. Then I added an inexpensive candle from WalMart, and voila ...
... a pretty Christmas gift for my mother-in-law and I still had enough money left to get her a book (also from the thrift store – like new!).

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1/27/2008 9:08 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

i love this! the distressed bit is a nice touch.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home