Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Early Bird Gets...Old?

Saturday, January 12, 2008


There comes a time in everyone’s life when they start noticing what I’ll call “old moments”, those moments in daily life that make one realize they’re growing older. You may find a gray hair...or 5...or 10; you may have to stop yourself from asking a teenager why she isn’t wearing a hat when the temperature is hovering around zero degrees Fahrenheit; or you may notice your bedtime becoming increasingly early.

I experienced one of those moments this morning.

There was a time when I could easily sleep until noon or later. 9:00 a.m. was early for me on a Saturday. It was such an affliction with me that my Geek still makes residual jokes even though I rarely sleep late anymore.

I suppose that in itself is an indication of my getting older, but this morning it was even worse. When I woke up, the jingling of dog tags alerted me to the fact that the Geek was up and had let the dog out of her kennel. I checked the clock and was absolutely horrified. The first coherent thought I had was, “Holy Cow! It’s past 7:30 and I’m still in bed!”

Yes, I was perfectly aware that it was Saturday. I’m just getting old.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 1/12/2008 10:29 AM, Blogger Changes in the wind wrote:

Hi, I am new to your site and can't remember from where I came:)I love to blog surf) but I can and do concur with you on this except the time is for me is 7:AM:)

 
At 1/12/2008 2:05 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

oooh, stashing extra rib cages will age you in the STRANGEST ways! :D

 
At 1/12/2008 2:09 PM, Blogger Thumper wrote:

Whew...I'm still young then. I slept until 10 this morning. Does it count that I didn't go to sleep until 2 am? That makes me, like WICKED young! ;)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home