Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

I Need A Hit Of Trading Spaces, But...

Wednesday, January 30, 2008


Alright my friends, it’s time to get shallow...really, really shallow. But let’s start with a bit of background, shall we?

One of my very favorite shows to ever be shown on TV is Trading Spaces. Since we have not had cable for many years, I was first introduced to it several years ago when we were visiting my in-laws who did have cable. We were there for a week-long Christmas vacation and I was immediately hooked on the show. The paint color reveal! The homeowner/designer banter! The excitement of seeing a room go from drab to fantastic! I lived and breathed it all while we were there visiting.

The next year, my Christmas gift from my in-laws was a box of six VHS tapes packed with episodes of Trading Spaces. Be still my beating heart. I have watched those episodes many times over the years. They are all that keeps me from going crazy with TSWS (Trading Spaces Withdrawal Syndrome), since we still don’t have cable.

Though I never saw it myself, I have heard from friends who are less cable-challenged than myself that the show changed drastically (for the worse) after Paige Davis left and they overhauled the show format. I must admit, even I lost interest. What could the show be without Paige? Don’t misunderstand me; the designers are great, but it’s a team effort of which Paige was a very integral part. I can’t imagine the show without her.

But now, as I am sure you all know, Paige has returned! And I am back to being as jealous as ever of all you cable-rich people out there. I don’t know if they changed the format back to it’s former state, but my longing for a shot of TS is back. Keep me away from the phone book, please, or I might just do something foolish like calling the local satellite company and signing up!

(deep breath) I’m okay now. Really. I am.

(sigh)

Okay, now here’s where we get to the really, really shallow part. It’s about Paige. She is so cute and beautiful and perky (I bet she really hates that word by now) and entertaining and, and, and....

But,

and I’m sorry to have to say it,

what is up with the hair?

Her old hairstyle was so adorable. It was the perfect match to her face and attitude. This one...well I just can’t find the words to say how awful it is. It looks like that horrible haircut I had in 6th grade, or one of those cuts you get when you’re trying to grow your hair out and nothing looks good.

Okay, maybe she is growing it out. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. But aren’t expensive Hollywood hair designers with names like Cherise (shar-i-zay) and Mauricio and Alabaster supposed to be able to make even growing-out hairstyles look good?

I’m glad she’s back – really! I am! – but I’m just a little scared of that hair. Paige, if you’re reading this (and yes, I do realize how delusional that sounds), please, please tell me you’re growing your hair out. Then all will be forgiven. I promise.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1/30/2008 9:32 AM, Blogger Teachin' this mommy new tricks! wrote:

I love trading spaces....I never really watched it till I had my little girl so I am home a bit more, but yea...love love love trading spaces and Flip that house!

 
At 2/01/2008 7:07 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

did you say shallow? i heard that loving word, and felt it beckon me...

you are SO right. I saw the promotional spots for the 'new' Trading Spaces and GASPED when i saw the atrocity that sits atop Paige's head. OH. MY. And then I thought, well that's ridiculous. How can they makeover 2 perfectly awful rooms when they can't make the so cute host's hair look decent?

My favorite though, was Alex McCleod, from the pre-Paige days. DId you ever see her? Seriously cute hair.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home