Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Mysteries of the Sun

Friday, January 18, 2008


Sometime around the 22nd of December, I woke up in the middle of the night and could not get back to sleep. This was the result of my insomnia.


We have finally passed over the line – that line in time that tells us that the days in our northern half of the world will continue to get longer from this point forward. My ignorance of the ways of our spinning world and its interaction with the sun makes it seem strange to me that while the days are getting longer, the air is getting colder. If the sun spends more time shining on the earth, shouldn’t it also be warming it?

Winter has only just begun, and yet from this point on the sun will begin to rise earlier each day. Soon it will make its daily appearance at 7:00, and then 6:30, and then 6:00, and then it won’t be long until the living things that hibernate underground begin to finally force their tender green heads up through the earth in search of the sun’s warmth.

But three long months lie in the path between us and spring – maybe more. Three long months of cold and snow, coats and hats and scarves and gloves, sweaters and warm socks and slippers – all the things we use to convince our bodies that it’s really warm out there, when we know better.

But even with that long winter ahead of us, there is comfort in knowing that the days are stretching and overcoming the nights. They are fighting the fight against the darkness, and the days will win just as they have always done since the dawn of time. And before we know it, the days will be longer than the nights, and the sun will remember how to warm the earth again, and our bodies will no longer have to be fooled into thinking it is warmer than it really is, and the green things will be resurrected and begin to grow beneath our feet.

Spring is coming – I can feel it – and it’s only a few short months away.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1/18/2008 9:14 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

I think the top half of the earth is tilted away from the sun this time of year, so we're further away from it and that's why it's cold. If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

 
At 1/27/2008 9:06 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

i'm envisioning the tulips i planted getting ready to come up. can't wait!!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home