Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

No More Heroes Anymore

Tuesday, January 01, 2008


It’s Trivial Tuesday! And what could be more trivial than....TELEVISION! Yup, good old TV. The boob tube. The idiot box. And yet we love it. It’s all the entertainment (okay, maybe just some of the entertainment) of a full-length feature film compressed into a package of 30 or 60 minutes...minus commercials, of course.

It’s sometimes easy to forget just how trivial TV is. How many times have you said something like, “That outfit is so Phoebe!” Have you ever taken a look around your house and wished you were as obsessive as Monica just for one day so that your house would look as spotless as hers? The Rachel haircut phenomenon alone is enough to prove our forgetfulness when it comes to the triviality of television.

As an aside, before I get on with my point, I do realize that those were all “Friends” references, and I also realize how pitiful it is that “Friends” was possibly my favorite TV show ever. In addition, I am fully aware of how utterly ridiculous it is that I really really really want to have that $200+ complete set of “Friends” on DVD sitting proudly in a prominent spot on my media shelf. (sigh)

I believe the word I’m looking for here is...

Anyway...

Occasionally I do have to remind myself of the fact that everything I see on TV is fake. It’s all made up. Those people don’t really exist, the events aren’t really happening, and none of it can have any effect on my life unless I choose to allow it to do so.

The problem is that I have an overactive imagination. I always have had. At times, my brain will take something I’ve seen and, against my will, turn it into reality. And here is where we come to my actual point.

I can’t watch “Heroes”. I want to watch it. I really, really do. See, my sister-in-law gave us the first season on DVD for Christmas. She knows our taste in TV pretty well and that we generally only watch TV on DVD.

On Christmas night, the family sat down to watch it. We were immediately completely engrossed. The storyline was riveting, the characters were engaging, and three episodes later we still wanted to keep watching. But it was getting late and everyone went home. Shortly after that the Geek and I went to bed, figuring we would watch more the next day. It turned out that he would, but I would not.

I hardly slept a wink that night. The events and images of the show raced through my tired little brain and would absolutely not let me sleep. I was certain there was a brain-eating psycopath hiding in the corner of the dark room. I didn’t want to even look in a mirror for fear of what I might see there. And that was just the beginning of my fears.

I spent the night chiding myself. “This is ridiculous. There is no psychopath in the house. I am just a normal woman who does not have an evil twin just waiting to go freakazoid and start murdering people." But my brain didn’t believe me. I told my husband the next day that, much to my extreme disappointment, I would not be able to watch the remaining episodes of “Heroes” with him.

A few days later, while I was out, he watched several more episodes and when I returned, he informed me that it had gotten a bit tamer on the bloody, gory, psychopathic murderer front and I might actually enjoy it. I was still skeptical, but I really wanted to watch the show and see how things turned out, so I sat at my laptop at a table across the room while he watched. I kept one ear tuned in to what was happening on the TV and occasionally glanced up to watch for a few minutes, looking away again anytime it seemed something gruesome might be about to happen.

I thought it was alright. I thought I might be able to start watching with him again. But that night I dreamed of running away from people with exploding heads so I would not get blown up too. Not exactly the kind of dreams from which you awake refreshed and ready to face another day.

It’s silly, I know, but I am surprised how disappointed I am that I can’t watch the show with him. It’s so fascinating and I really want to know what happens to all these people. I want to see how the fate of the invincible cheerleader is tied to that of the world. I want to know how Hiro the Hero acquires the sword and why he needs it. I want to know if Nikki ever learns to control Jessica.

But, alas, it seems I am doomed to live a life without “Heroes”. And if that isn’t trivial, I really don’t know what is.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1/01/2008 10:48 PM, Blogger Judy wrote:

I found myself sitting in front of my computer tonight thinking, 'now what was the name of that one woman who was building a dream house in the country?', and suddenly, it came to me!

Are there pictures anywhere? I am intrigued. And, also a bit shocked that my brain is still functioning in matters of memory!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home