Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Squashing the "Wasting Time" Bug

Monday, January 28, 2008


Just moments ago I was commenting on Leanne’s blog which, when you comment, links to the most recent post on your own blog. It told me that my most recent was “Mysteries of the Sun”, and I realized that post was so old that I couldn’t even remember when I had posted it. Turns out it was 10 days ago. Ugh.

At the risk of sounding like a total spaz, I’m going to be honest: my new format isn’t working for me. It’s way too structured. Okay, that makes me sound completely undisciplined, but considering that I haven’t posted in 10 days, is that really a surprise?

The one good thing that came out of my experiment is that I discovered some things I can blog about that I had not really thought of before. For instance, I love making handmade things and am planning to open an Etsy store soon to start selling some of those things. And yet, as much as I love this part of my life, I have never blogged much about it. It’s like a whole part of my life that I could be blogging but haven’t.

Anyway, I am still here, and with the Etsy store and another home business I am considering, I have realized that it’s really in my best interest to keep my blog more up-to-date, if nothing else for the advertising opportunities it affords me. I suppose that might sound crass to some, but I don’t plan to have my Etsy store emblazoned across the top of my screen; just a discreet link in my sidebar.

And the truth is, I really do enjoy blogging. I started this blog over two years ago because I wanted to write; that hasn’t changed. I still love writing, but I think that can make it even harder to justify. My logic tends to be this: If I enjoy doing it, then it must be a worthless, purely recreational activity and therefore everything else is more important than it, and in fact it should be avoided because it is a waste of time. Of course, that line of thought is not completely in charge of my life – trust me, I can come up with much more meaningless ways to waste my time – but it has a strong tendency to creep in and catch me now and then, especially when it comes to writing.

Does this sound like a bunch of lame excuses? I hope not. What I’m really trying to say is that I love blogging, I have enjoyed writing blog posts for the past two-and-a-half years, I’ve met some wonderful people, and I’m really going to make an effort to squash the “it’s a waste of my time” bug and blog like a crazy woman. My sincere thanks to the few of you who keep checking in. I adore you all and hope you’ll keep coming back. I’ll be here!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1/29/2008 10:23 AM, Blogger Leanne wrote:

I'm of the mindset that if you love it, just do it. If you feel that passionately about something, it will bring you income, too. You just need to pursue what is tugging on your heart, and everything will fall into place. :)

 
At 2/01/2008 7:10 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

amen to Leanne.

Open the Etsy store. I love those! i'll plaster it all over my site if you won't do it here.

i tend to think that if you love doing something, that love was placed in you for a wonderful reason and to NOT do it is bigger offense.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home