Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Addendum To An Infatuated Rave

Friday, February 01, 2008


If you happen to have been irresistibly compelled to acquisition by my infatuated rave over Eats, Shoots & Leaves the other day, and have decided that it would be a wonderful addition to your children’s grammatical education, please pause a moment and allow me to issue this warning.

It’s not a children’s book. That does not necessarily mean it’s not for all children, but I would really recommend that you as a parent read the book first and determine whether or not it is for you only, or for your children as well – not that you don’t already do that.

I still hold that Eats, Shoots & Leaves is a brilliant and hilarious book that teaches punctuation in such an entertaining manner that you won’t even realize you’re doing something so boring as learning grammar until you find yourself using a dash properly in your next blog post. But there is a smattering of slightly less than child-friendly references, the worst of which is when she apologetically refers to an off-color term sometimes used in the printing business in reference to an exclamation point. Nothing mind-blowing, but I just want to give you the opportunity to avoid explaining to your children the other meaning of a word that might usually refer to a chicken.

And that’s all I’ll say about that.

I believe though, that Lynne Truss may also have written a version for children. That might avoid having to answer any scary questions. As for scary questions regarding proper punctuation, I wouldn’t worry. Ms. Truss will answer them for you.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2/01/2008 7:12 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

excellent point. i had to explain the difference between the acceptable and unacceptable uses of the word 'nuts' to Caden-3yr the other day.

And how 'dam' is not a problem when preceded by 'beaver.'

sigh.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home