Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Back To Work

Tuesday, February 12, 2008


Today was my first day at my new job. It went reasonably well. The woman who was training me kept saying, “I know this doesn’t make sense now, but it will.” There was a time when I would have craved such reassurance when learning a new job, but not anymore. I’m not saying it wasn’t welcome, but I have started enough new jobs in my life that I know this fact like I know the back of my hand: it will always seem overwhelming and foreign at first, but give it a little time and some repetition, and it will soon become second nature.

In this particular place, that rule applies not only to the work itself, but to the building as well. It is an old hospital, with many low-ceilinged, narrow, labyrinth-like hallways and odd twists and turns and ups and downs. By the end of the day I managed to find my way to the break-room and the restroom by myself. Tomorrow my trainer promised to come find me if I haven’t found my way to her by 6:40.

That’s right. 6:40. My starting time is 6:30 a.m., and believe it or not, that’s by my own choice. I was given the option of starting anytime so long as I started by 7:00 on at least two days of the week. I chose to start at 6:30 every day. For a non-morning person, this is a remarkable display of growth and maturity, though I do have the option to fall back to 7:00 in the future if necessary. Of course, the main benefit of the early morning is that I will be home by 3:15 every day, which allows me time at home in which to accomplish a few things and still relax a bit in the evening.

All in all, I think this will be a good job. The work is interesting, the people are friendly and the atmosphere is comfortable. I must admit though, I really missed my home and my dog today. I know it’s silly, but after six weeks at home I’ve gotten used to Razzie sleeping in a nearby sunbeam while I make bread or balance the checkbook or do laundry; the comforting way the sun warms our home as it pours through the windows, even in the dead of winter; the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction of a home well-cared-for without the stress of doing it all in the evenings; a good hot meal ready to eat with my husband when he gets home.

I’m going to miss all these things, but maybe someday I’ll get them back again. In the meantime, I’m making money which is always nice, especially when you’re making mortgage payments on two houses.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2/13/2008 3:37 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

6:30?! BY CHOICE?! I'm so impressed. I've secretly thought that i would be far more productive if I, by choice, started my day that early.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home