Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Do You Hate Valentine's Day?

Thursday, February 14, 2008


I've been hearing a lot of negativity this year toward Valentine's Day – even more than usual. There's the "it's just a trick of the floral and greeting card companies to get more of your money" crew, and the "why do we need a special day for love" crew, among others.

I can understand the animosity of people who are unattached and wanting to be with someone. At least they have a reason to dislike the day. But I'm also hearing this from people who do have someone with whom to celebrate love.

I've never considered myself all that much of a romantic, but I love Valentine's Day. Yes, I can (and do) choose to show my husband that I love him any day, but why not have a particular day set aside in honor of that love. We have a date night every Friday night, and we always celebrate our wedding anniversary, but it's nice to have one more day of the year that is set aside just for this purpose, one more day that gives us an excuse to go out and celebrate the fact that we are together, married, in love with each other.

So what do you think? Love it? Hate it? Somewhere in between? Can anyone explain to me the reason there is so much animosity toward this holiday? I don't know that you'll convince me, but I'd like to hear what you think all the same.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2/15/2008 2:34 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

i alternate between loving it and hating it. if mike remembers, i love it. if he forgets, i hate it.


i loved it big this year!

 
At 2/15/2008 7:25 PM, Blogger Thumper wrote:

For us it's just an excuse to go out to dinner. I think a lot of people hate it because it's painted with so many expectations, and they feel cornered. It's hard to get into something when you're only going along with it because it's expected.

 
At 2/16/2008 11:55 AM, Blogger TK wrote:

Hi wif, your hubby the Geek here! I love Valentine's day because it's a nice excuse to spend time with my favorite person in the whole world.

Plus, with my job being what it is, it gives me a good excuse to leave the office on time for a change instead of working late as I do so often.

Luv U!
G

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home