Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Somebody Help Me – I Can't Breathe

Wednesday, February 20, 2008


This week has been absolutely miserable. Actually, the week is probably fine. It's me that's miserable. The company I now work for has a policy that new employees can only take 1 day off in their first 90 days on the job, so I am stuck working even though I am miserably sick and my co-workers are terrified of me and my germs.

I have a bottle of Purell on my desk which I use faithfully after every time I touch my face or head for any reason. (Great idea, Holy Mama.) But unfortunately I can't constantly disinfect the air around me. I suppose I could take a can of Lysol to work, but what am I going to do? Spray it every time I breath out?

The Geek suggested wearing a face mask to work, but I just can't do that. I'm sorry, but I am too proud, even if it is a hospital. Since I work in the office area I have no contact with patients, doctors, or nurses, which is some small comfort to me, but not necessarily to my co-workers.

Anyway, I think this poem sums up pretty well how I'm feeling today, and in case you missed it the first time around, here are verses two and three of the poem, though I spent all of Wednesday at work this time.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2/20/2008 5:52 PM, Blogger Leanne wrote:

tylenol severe cold/congestion (behind the counter) has been my saving grace since Saturday.

Feel better soon!!

 
At 2/23/2008 4:46 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

i'm offended on your behalf. that is the DUMBEST rule ever, especially for a hospital.

 
At 2/23/2008 4:50 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

Mike's a big fan of CLorox Anywhere Hard Surface. A few weeks ago when pink eye swept through the family, he even suggested I disinfect my makeup with it.

Because, you know, he's a man and has no clue that you don't really want to spray CLOROX on your MASCARA and then stick it near your EYEBALLS. He put too much emphasis on the "Anywhere" in CLorox Anywhere Hard Surface.

And forgot that mascara is not a hard surface.

(He's usually brilliant)

Get well! And consider complaining to HR!

 
At 2/23/2008 7:26 PM, Blogger shellibells wrote:

I hope you're feeling better :(

It sucks poo to be sick and have to be at work :(

Sorry.

Shelli

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home