Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Squirmy

Wednesday, February 13, 2008


YoYo joined our crew of cats about 5 years ago or so. He was a scrawny, sickly little orange and white cat that our neighbors had been feeding on their back step for a while. It wasn’t the first time they had come to us, hoping that we might take in a stray cat. They took care of the strays in the neighborhood as best they could, but because of severe allergies they could not take them inside.

It was October and there were so many reasons to rescue him. He was small and weak and had been declawed in all four paws before he was abandoned by his previous owner. Winter was coming and if a bigger cat didn’t get to him, the cold would. Plus there were rumors around the neighborhood about some sick kids who were torturing stray cats.

So we brought him home. The very first night he was at home with us, he jumped on the bed, laid on my chest, and stretched his paws out in front of himself to gently touch my chin; he’s done the same thing nearly every night since.

He was always a little shaky, but we figured at first that he was just weak from malnutrition. We nick-named him "Squirmy" because he never stopped moving. We found out shortly after we took him in that there was something wrong.

Then one night we heard an awful noise. It was YoYo. He on the floor flopping around like a fish out of water. It was horrible. I picked him up and held him close while I sat on the bed. The seizure didn’t last long. When it was over his legs seemed to be weak for a short time, and then suddenly he was fine again.

In fact, he was doing so well that we decided not to take him to the vet, but to just keep an eye on him for the time being and see how he did.

A while later I came home from work one day to find him cowering in a corner, filthy from head to tail, his eyes matted and dirty. He had somehow gotten into something; we never did figure out for sure what it was. I quickly scooped him up and cleaned him up, cleaned his eyes as best I could and took him to the emergency vet.

Whatever he had gotten into had caused corneal abrasions in both eyes. The vet told me that he would probably see much like a person like myself who has to wear glasses.

While I was there I talked to the vet about the seizures and YoYo’s general shakiness. After examining him, the vet determined that he has a neurological disorder (I don’t remember the name of it) that is sometimes contracted by kittens in the womb. Most of them don’t live long because they are so shaky they can’t lower their heads to eat or drink. YoYo was one of the lucky ones. According to the vet, there is nothing that can be done about it, so I took my sweet, shaky kitty home along with a prescription of eyedrops.

That was a long time ago, and since then YoYo has had many seizures. Last night, he had the worst one we have ever seen. It was so violent that when we were first awakened by it we didn’t know what we were hearing, even though we’ve been through this many times over the years. I picked him up like I always do and held him close while I sat on the floor, stroking his fur and trying my best to comfort him. When it was over, it took a good half hour before his legs were solid beneath him again. It was terrifying, but by the time the Geek and I had to leave for work he was fine again, just like he always is.

This afternoon when I arrived home, I immediately checked on him. As is usual, he was laying on the bed next to another cat. When I walked in, he rolled over on his side and begged for a tummy rub. I complied and he began to kitty kiss my hand and wrist vigorously, as always. I’m sure he doesn’t remember what happened last night, and for his sake I’m glad of that. I just wish I didn’t remember it either.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2/15/2008 2:37 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

oh the sweet kitty!

i'm so very glad he has you and the Geek.

 
At 4/06/2010 3:47 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Update:

We found out that YoYo does not have the neurological disorder that the emergency vet said he had. Our current vet told us he just has epilepsy. YoYo is now on Phenobarbital and doesn't have seizures anymore. Other than the fact that we have to force-feed him a pill every day, you'd never know there was anything wrong with him.

He is, however, still my little squirmy cat. :)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home