Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

To the dear folks at My Bank*

Thursday, February 28, 2008


If you are going to make a major change to your ATMs, like, for instance, sealing off the envelope holding slot so that one cannot access the deposit envelopes without actually starting a transaction, you may want to make it clear that there actually are envelopes and that you need to start a transaction to access them, rather than leaving it a mystery for your patrons to figure out, which might possibly end up sending them on a wild goose chase over the period of two hours or so, leaving them incredibly frustrated in trying to find a machine before finally figuring out how the new machines work.

Also, if you must make such aforementioned changes to your ATMs, you would be wise to be sure that the employees at your banks know how to use them and are able to explain to their customers that they need to start a transaction to access the envelopes.

And finally, you may want to set the ATM to give the customer a few minutes to fill out the required information on the envelope after making it available, rather than immediately starting to beep very loudly and eventually threatening to time out, not leaving any more time than before, when the envelope could be filled out entirely before starting the transaction.

Thank you.

Geekwif


*Not it’s real name.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2/29/2008 7:06 AM, Blogger Leanne wrote:

Aaak! I went through something similar with Dell lastnight, there's a door, and a button to open it, but it FEELS like there should be a button to close it - and there are NO directions! Out of fear of breaking my new hard drive, I opted to sit and wait for a rep to tell me how to close the dang thing! LOL

We're not all as intuitive as they seem to think, eh?

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home