Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

What Would You Do?

Monday, February 11, 2008


Last week on Wednesday I visited my new place of employment to fill out some necessary paperwork. Once they process that (sometime this week), I will begin working. I was there about an hour.

As I approached my car to leave, I noticed that the van on my driver’s side (which was not there when I arrived) was parked at an angle that did not match that of the lines designating the parking space, and that it was very close to my car. As I continued my approach I noticed it was very, very close. “Great,” I thought. “I’m not going to be able to get into my driver’s side door.”

But it was worse than that. I walked as far as I could into the space between the vehicles. The van was touching my car. TOUCHING MY CAR! There was no note left behind. The driver was not there. They just pulled in, hit my car, and left. I suppose you’d call that a hit and run, except I don't think it's traditional to leave the vehicle behind.

I spent a few minutes circling my car in disbelief, observing the collision at different angles while trying to decide my next course of action. Here are a few of the options that crossed through my head.

1) Call my insurance agent.
I quickly dismissed this option since the incident was pretty minor and I didn’t want to have it show up on my record or increase my premium.

2) Call the police.
Seemed like overkill.

3) Go inside with the license plate number and ask the receptionist to page the owner of the vehicle.
Yeah, and the owner of the van is going to immediately leave his appointment and come running out to talk to the angry woman who is there to confront him about his bad parking job.

4) Sit in the car and wait for them to return...
in the winter cold, wasting MY time when they could possibly be in there for hours. Huh-uh.

5) Take down their license plate just in case anything ever comes of it and leave.
Ding ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

I climbed into my compact car through the passenger side and over the center compartment, and pulled out just far enough at first to observe the damage, which fortunately was minimal on my car and was in fact hardly noticeable when compared to all the other little scratches on my very old car. Their van seemed to be slightly more dented, but really? I couldn’t have cared less about that. Sorry. I know it sounds cold, but they hit me!!

So how about you? Would you have done the same? What would you have done differently?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2/11/2008 8:32 AM, Blogger Changes in the wind wrote:

I think you made the best decision........

 
At 2/11/2008 9:02 AM, Blogger Leanne wrote:

Part of me would debate - if my car were older and dingy - how much I'd mind another ding or three on my door as I opened it into their van. A few times. :P

 
At 2/11/2008 1:59 PM, Blogger Teachin' this mommy new tricks! wrote:

I would have taken the licence plate down and probably called the cops. That is sooo rude. They did not care about your car or the damage! I might be over the edge! But that jsut isn't fair and you should be able to park and not worry about that!

 
At 2/13/2008 3:40 PM, Blogger HolyMama! wrote:

ok, this actually happened to us, too!

but we were PINNED into a parking spot by another car. We had to call the police, not able to move. They came, tracked down the driver of the other car and he was completely shocked since he really didn't know he'd done it! Weird.

I hope that your bad parker at least knows he/she did it.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home