Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Battle

Monday, March 24, 2008


The cruel white Snow Queen has taken over my part of the country. She holds us firmly in her grip and refuses to surrender to the beautiful Spring Princess of growing things, even though her reign should have ended four days ago. She blows her icy breath and makes us zip our coats up a little higher.

The eagles aren’t afraid of her – I see them soaring high in defiance to her tyranny. They know the truth – that she cannot prevail much longer – that her defenses are weakening – and they aren’t afraid to mock her obstinance, flying high above her grasp.

Those of us without wings have to settle for what we can get. As for me, I defy her in my own quiet way. I am drawing plans to transform what is now a snowy wilderness into a tribute to the beauty of nature. In the hidden places of my mind float dreams of terraced gardens; flowers in nearly every color I can imagine; trees bursting with lacy blossoms in white, pink, and magenta until they drop them to make a soft, lovely carpet for their coming green Spring Princess.

In a more tangible way, I am planting seeds in my basement, providing them light with flourescent fixtures in spite of the current lack of sunlight. There are Agastache, Cornflowers, Columbine, Spearmint, Sweet Marjoram, Chives, English Thyme, Cabbage; and soon to come are Poppies, Baby's Breath, Marigolds, Zinnias, Mallow, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Corn, Beans, and so much more. I watch them, coax them, and dote over them, my blessed symbols of the coming of spring.

The beloved green Spring Princess is fighting the battle with honor and valour. With the help of her mighty champion the Sun warming the earth; her infallible weapons of rain melting the snow; her trumpeters the birds sounding the battle cry; and her valiant warriors, all the green growing things desperately pressing through the long-frozen earth, I know it won’t be long before she is victorious. The White Queen of winter will be forced to surrender for another year and we will live in glorious freedom under the generous and benevolent rule of Spring.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home