Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Eeeewww!!!

Thursday, March 20, 2008


Those of you who have been reading my blog may remember how I feel about public restrooms. Those of you who have not may find out how I feel by clicking on that link. Pay especial attention to #9 under "Public Restroom Etiquette", please. I will use public restrooms, but I have some pretty strict feelings about the etiquette of using them. Today, I heard something on the radio that shocked and horrified me to my very core.

I should preface this story by saying that I am not a germ-a-phobe. I’m not excited about germs, but they don’t frighten me either. I just think that certain habits, especially certain bathroom habits are disgusting.

So, I was listening to the local “inane chatter” talk radio station on my drive home today, and the two women hosts happened to be talking about washing your hands after using the restroom. One of them had apparently revealed in a previous show that she does not always wash her hands after using the restroom. She claimed that she wraps her hand in a “toilet paper glove” and therefore finds it unnecessary.

I find that disgusting.

She was offended because a young woman who had just met her and shook her hand, washed her hands immediately afterward because she had heard her confession. She insisted that it was not the least bit unusual for women to not wash their hands after using the restroom, and that any woman who claimed to wash her hands every time was a liar.

I guess she’s calling me a liar.

Someone called in with an “Amen, sistah” and said that she couldn’t possibly wash her hands every time she used the bathroom because it dried her skin. The dirty-handed host agreed, saying that she would rather not wash her hands than have to use lotion every time she did.

Seriously, it is beyond my ability to put into writing just how disgustingly gross that is to me.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 4/12/2008 11:44 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

ok, the ONLY time I have ever used a public restroom and not washed my hands was when I was convinced I would actually get more germs on me touching any of the plumbing than washing up. That's when you open the door with your sleeve and immediately search out another place to try to not only wash up after going to the bathroom, but wash the ickyness of the bathroom off of you....

Oh, and NO WAY would I ever make a confession like the radio host did. Some things are better off never said anyway. She deserved to hear that someone washed her hands after shaking hands with her. I would've!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home