Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

My Cold And Vanity Fair (Things That May Never End)

Saturday, March 08, 2008


So I started my new job about 4 weeks ago. A week into it I got sick. Then, just as I was beginning to feel better I got sick again. There's some nasty stuff going around the office,which is a very small, very packed space with absolutely no ventilation and about 20 people working in it, many of whom are new like me and are thus catching and passing around nasty stuff.

All that to say, I'm still sick and miserable and I've basically spent the past three weeks working and sleeping. I finally managed to get a couple days off (Thursday and Friday) and slept through them pretty much all day both days. The Geek has picked up take-out from the local pizza/pasta joint more times in these three weeks than I can count.

BUT, I do have a post for today ... okay, it's a bit of a cheater post, but I got tagged by "The Good Girls" and it's kind of a literary sort of meme-ish thingy, so of course I just had to do it. :)

The rules are as follows:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

My closest book is Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray, which I have been trudging through for longer than I care to admit considering that I am only on page 156. The plot itself could be interesting, but Mr. Thackeray is just so long-winded! Yeesh! And his timeline is so twisty it's hard to keep track of it. I'm determined to finish it though; that is, if I can do so before I run out of renewals at the library.

Anyway, here are my three sentences.
The old aunt was long in "coming-to". A month had elapsed. Rawdon was denied the door by Mr. Bowls; his servants could not get a lodgement in the house at Park Lane; his letters were sent back unopened.
Not terribly revealing or enticing, really. I think this might be one of those books you have to finish before you can appreciate it at all. If I finish I'll let you know.

And as for the tags, I'm sticking to my standard procedure. If you want to be tagged, then "Tag, you're it!"

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3/10/2008 7:33 AM, Blogger Anne Dayton wrote:

Vanity Fair is so good, but SO long... I kept forgetting who everybody was when they showed up again.

 
At 3/19/2008 9:46 AM, Blogger May Vanderbilt wrote:

Wow. I'm feeling like a total flunkie because I haven't read Vanity Fair...well, I have read Vanity Fair the magazine, but I'm guessing that doesn't count.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home