Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

There Are Snowflakes Moshing In My Back Yard

Monday, March 31, 2008


You’ll have to excuse me. I’m fighting a killer case of the doldrums here.

Okay, okay. I’m not so much fighting it as I am utterly giving in to it.

You see, over the weekend, the sun came out. It got warm(ish). The snow melted – well some of it anyway. We had lots and lots of goopy, sinky mud, which may sound icky, but to me it was a sign of the coming of spring.

I even pulled out a gardening book and devoured it with the appetite of a starving woman. I had hope that gardening season would soon be here. I bought seeds from Gurneys. I made garden plans.

But today...(sigh)...today.

Today it started to snow. And it continued to snow. And it started to snow harder. And it continued snowing harder until it was nearly a blizzard.

As I write this, the wind is tossing the millions upon millions of snowflakes in our backyard in a whirling, whooshing mosh pit of snow. What once was mud has again become a white wilderness.

So you’ll have to forgive me if I am not cheerful or uplifting today. I am currently convinced that spring is never going to come; that we are forever doomed to endless winter; that the garden in my dreams will never come to be because the ground will never again be warm enough to welcome it.

Spring? What is that? I’ve completely forgotten.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home