Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

6-10 Inches...In April!

Thursday, April 10, 2008


Winter is still hanging on. Is this going on everywhere or is it just us poor slobs in Wisconsin and Minnesota that are still enduring wintery weather?

We had a little hope last week. It got well into the 50s for a couple of days. Snow melted, and the birds broke out their best songs for spring. It was truly amazing. Sure, we heard birds in the city, but nothing like out here in the country. When I opened the door on Saturday morning, it was like opening the door to a choir singing the Hallelujah Chorus. It was beautiful. I just stood there and soaked it in, with a little sun to boot.

But now it’s cold and snowing again, and we’re supposed to get 6-10 inches by Saturday. My husband doesn’t believe me when I tell him that I am despairing of spring ever coming this year. Of course, in my head I know that it will come. Logic and experience and plain old common sense tell me that of course spring will come just like it always does. But the purely emotional part of me really is despairing of ever seeing green things again.

Just to give you an idea, here’s what a part of my yard looked like last week...



...and here’s what it looked like earlier this week...



In the meantime, though, I’m using the sensible part of my brain to make garden and landscaping plans. Here are some pictures I took last week along with explanations of what we want to do.



Right about where the biggish tree is in the middle of this picture, that’s where my veggie garden is going to go. It flattens out just a little there, but there is enough of a slope above it to bring in lots of nutrient-rich run-off each spring, and enough of a slope below it to help it to drain nicely. (That's my very amateur analysis anyway.) The tree can be cut down with absolutely no regret because it (along with 95 percent of the trees on our lot) is a boxelder tree: not particularly attractive even with leaves, and a boxelder bug attractor which means it’s got to go!

. . . . . . .

This may not look like much, but it is going to be transformed into a lovely terraced flower garden. It’s hard to tell, but you’re looking downhill here and while it looks straight across it’s actually a curved area that wraps around in front of the house.

. . . . . . .

Here is our front walk as it looks currently, complements of our builder. We will be completely re-designing this walk, making it not only level, but nicely curved and inviting.

. . . . . . .

We have lots and lots of clay, so without any grass planted yet, all the melt-off has turned our yard into sinky mud...

...which turns boots and pants into this.

. . . . . . .

And just to show that there is some glimmer of hope (or was a week ago – at this very moment it's snowing like crazy and there is about 1/2 accumulation...so far) ...
...something green, though I’m not sure what...

...green moss is growing everywhere under all the dead grass and weeds...

...and best of all, the irises I transplanted from our city house last year seem to have survived the winter! Maybe there is hope after all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home