Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Foggy Morning

Sunday, April 20, 2008


Yesterday it rained just a little; and today the air is still, which is unusual for our typically windy lot. The combination has created a perfect foggy spring morning.

I love the quiet of morning out here in the country. There is no hustle and bustle as the world awakens, no sound of cars or buses or trucks whizzing by. The world out here awakens at it’s own pace, peacefully, instead of at the forced pace of the busy city.

As I look out my windows, it’s like there is a thin white sheet hanging just outside the glass, softening the everyday vista. If I gaze very carefully, I can barely see the outline of the tops of the great dark evergreens across the road, though the road itself has been rendered completely invisible.

The closer trees, still bare as their leaves have not yet ventured out of their waiting buds, stand completely still like the soldiers who stand guard outside Windsor Castle. They look regal and ghostly in contrast to their usual playfulness. The arms that reach high above their heads, normally waving in jubilant praise to the Lord of the heavens, are today serene, solemn.

But the birds of the morning are undaunted. I only need to open my door to hear their joyful anthem, possibly the most beautiful of all the sounds to be discovered out here in our new home. The song is so lovely that I can hardly stop myself from flinging all the windows open wide to let it in, despite the chill of morning.

The gloom of fog and the chill of the air cannot daunt me now. Every day, as spring reveals itself in tiny steps of wonder, my spirits rise and my mind is cleared of the fog that has held it captive during the long winter months, which are now finally behind us and soon to be forgotten.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4/20/2008 10:51 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

Such beautiful word pictures!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home