Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Truth about Friday the 13th (according to me)

Friday, June 13, 2008


After 37 years of existence in this crazy world, I think I've figured out the mystery of Friday the 13th. I don't know what its true origins are – something ancient and pagan I would guess – but I'm too lazy to go Google it. Okay, actually I'm not too lazy; I'm just not going to waste precious minutes of free wi-fi to go find it.

Anyway, today, as I was working diligently (and simultaneously eavesdropping on my co-workers' conversation) I finally figured it out. The true mystery of Friday the 13th is not in the strange events that happen. Nope. The true mystery of F13* is the strange people.

Now, granted, people are strange 365 days of the year (366 this year), but it seems to me that people get even weirder on F13, as evidenced by the following conversation I overheard today.

Jean** (after a loud clatter): What was that!!???

Susan: Oh! That was my calendar falling off the wall.

Nancy: Really? Wow! My calendar fell off the wall today too! Holy cow! That is so weird!

Jean: Well, it is Friday the 13th. (By the way, I had heard this exact sentence from at least 3 other people today.)

Susan: Woah! That is so weird!

Jean: Spooky!

Okay, do you see it? The only thing weird and spooky here is the fact that my co-workers find it weird and spooky that their calendars would both fall off the wall on the same day. If this had happened yesterday, on Thursday the 12th, they would not have thought anything of it.

People are so weird....and spooky.


*Friday the 13th: because free wi-fi or not, I am lazy.

**All names have been changed to protect the identity of my co-workers...and to protect my job security.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home