Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Sharing My Addiction

Tuesday, August 19, 2008


A while ago, I wrote about my new obsession with podcasts. I am still enamoured with them and I am continuously updating them, adding new ones, deleting the boring ones, and listening to them whenever possible: at work, while I walk the dog, while I clean the house, etc. It's a sickness, really.

For those of you who may not yet have contracted this auditory ailment, I’ll attempt to explain it. It’s hard to capture in words what exactly is the allure of podcasts. In a way they are like old-time radio shows, or current radio shows for that matter. In fact, some of the podcasts I listen to are actually radio shows that are offered on iTunes as podcasts as well.
But while not everyone can get (or even wants) their own radio show, anyone can have their own podcast. I suppose in that way it’s like a blog; it’s not easy to get your own newspaper column for example, but the wonder of the WWW makes it simple for anyone to publish their thoughts for the world to see on their very own blog.

That still does not tell you why I have fallen head over heels for podcasts, does it? Maybe it’s the freedom they offer to absorb information and entertainment at my leisure. With my iPod I can listen to a podcast of my choice anytime I want. I don’t have to wait until the scheduled time and make sure that I have a radio available in order to listen to a podcast. My iPod goes with me almost everywhere, so, for instance, if I get bored while executing a particularly mundane task at work, I can pop in my earbuds and feed my addiction be entertained while my fingers keep working apart from my brain.


Anyway, I thought I would share with you a few of my favorite podcasts. As I mentioned above, I listen to some radio shows that are “podcasted” as well as broadcasted, and some independent podcasts by plain old folks just like you and me. I’m fairly picky about the quality of the podcasts I listen to, so if you are interested in finding some for yourself, I would say you are probably safe in trying out the ones I’ll be recommending.


That said, this post is getting a bit lengthy, and I want to give each podcast the recognition it deserves, so expect a short series coming up with reviews of my favorite podcasts. They range from gardening and general DIYing, to grammar obsessions and writing tips.
In the meantime, if you have a favorite podcast (or 2 or 3) to recommend, drop me a line in the comments or write a review on your own blog and leave me a link. I’d love to hear about your favorite podcasts too. Because if this is a sickness, I just don't want to get well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home