Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Why Ibuprofen Is My Friend Today

Saturday, August 23, 2008


Before I get on with the podcast series, I just have to jump in here with a bit of a news break. I have finally done something that it seems everyone else in the world had done before me. Something painful but necessary, scary but it had to be done. Yesterday, I had my first tooth pulled.

It started about 2 months ago I think, when I stuck my finger in the back of my mouth to get out a bit of food that got stuck between my cheek and my tooth (oh c'mon, don't tell me you don't do that when you're alone), and thought, "Hmmmm. I don't think that edge is supposed to be jagged."

Thus began Operation Putting off the Search for a Dentist, since I didn't have a dentist yet in this new town. I'll skip all the long boring stuff that led to me yesterday's adventure and just say that the dentist who told me when I was seventeen that I had a big mouth?

Wrong. Very, very wrong.

My new dentist – who by the way is a woman, which surprised me at first because I had never met a woman dentist, until the surprise turned into relief because there's something about a woman dentist that is more comfortable even though I don't know why exactly – kept telling me how small my mouth was, how difficult it was to get in there to reach the wisdom tooth that had broken in half, and kept apologizing for having to stretch my mouth open so far in order to reach it.

Before it started, I really didn't think I was scared, but at the moment she told me she was about to start and explained to me calmly just what she was going to do, I just about jumped out of the chair and ran home bawling and screaming, "Don't do it!"

But I didn't. I stayed in my chair, not crying, and saying the alphabet over and over in my head in order to distract myself because the TV hanging over my head wasn't good enough. And soon (after about 10 shots of novacaine) it was over.

Now, I'm home, with a slightly puffy mouth, but mostly okay with ibuprofen as my friend. And hoping I never have to do that again.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8/24/2008 4:40 PM, Blogger Thumper wrote:

Did it come out in one piece? I had to get one yanked out a couple years ago and they had to dig around for all the little pieces when it shattered. Didn't feel it, though...had a whole lot of marcaine on board. Still, not something I want to do routinely.

 
At 8/24/2008 7:43 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

It was already broken, so there was only half a tooth left. Little pieces also broke off as they were pushing on it to loosen it so they had to keep suctioning out little bits of tooth as they tried to fall down my throat and choke me. Fun stuff, huh?

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home