Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

I Totally Got An iPhone

Sunday, September 06, 2009


The Geek's company recently changed their mobile phone service to AT&T, and with that got an employee discount on mobile phone plans. So, since we have noticed that we get better reception now (usually about 2 bars, sometimes more) than we used to (0 bars on a good day), we decided it might be time to get me a mobile phone again. I wanted to get one soon since I'll be traveling in a couple weeks (that's right, Blond Girl, I'm coming to see you in less than 2 weeks!), so we headed into the city yesterday and found ourselves an AT&T store.

On the way there, we discussed what I wanted. I had owned a PDA before and wanted a phone with the organizational capabilities I had with that device, which meant we were probably going to be looking at a smart phone. Having had a "regular" phone before, I knew that I would most likely not get what I wanted from another one.

Of course when we got there, the very perky, cheerful sales girl took us directly to the iPhones because "once you've seen them you won't want anything else!" That's exactly what I was afraid of.

After listening to her rave for about 10 minutes about the wonders of this magnificent device (which really are a little mesmerizing), I forced myself to be practical and explained what I needed (as opposed to what I wanted, which was now definitely an iPhone) in a phone hoping that I might somehow be able to get out of this store without committing myself to a data plan.

Well, as I have already given away in my title, I ended up with the iPhone because the regular phones all look like rotary dial phones after one glimpse of an iPhone, because it was only $99 when you set up new service, and because she was right – once you've seen an iPhone you don't want anything else.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 9/06/2009 12:07 PM, Blogger Thumper wrote:

I got one a week ago...totally worth it. Although, I haven't actually had or made a phone call with it, but it's awesome for annoying my kid with texts and the apps for it are fun :)

 
At 9/06/2009 1:30 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thumper, what apps have you found are good ones? I've been searching apps on iTunes to see what I can find that seems worth paying for.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home