Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Bookshelves, Lovely, Lovely Bookshelves

Thursday, September 16, 2010


**Please click on the images below to see their original sources.**

I love bookshelves. Really. Love love love them. My dream living room has no inch of wall space not covered by built-in bookshelves. Since my Geek thought that might be a bit far on the wrong side of overkill, I conceded my lofty, bookshelf-y dream and settled for his plan ... which is a really nice one, I must admit.

Here's our great room – or as much of it as you can see from the hallway.

living room
His lovely plan is to build bookshelves to fit right where our shelves are now, but they will be tall. Very tall. Like 10 feet tall ... give or take a few inches.

And he is building them. And they will be lovely. And I probably don't have enough books to cover every square inch of wall space in my great room anyway, so this is much more practical. (That's how we work, you see. When I get impractical, he brings me back to earth ... and vice versa.)

But since we're on the topic of bookshelves – lovely, lovely bookshelves covered in books – let's stay there for a while, huh? Come on and join me. This is my happy place.


Thumper, who is also a book freak (If you're reading this, Thumper, I hope you don't mind that I called you a freak.) posted about this very unique bookshelf recently.


Circular Walking Bookshelf  by David Garcia

And I must agree with her wholeheartedly ... I want. I could not possibly care less that it's utterly impractical. If someone dropped this on my doorstep I would be ecstatic.

So that got me thinking about unique bookshelves, which led me to this ...


... which holds treasures like this ...
curved bookshelves

... and this ...
funky bookshelves... and (oh my lord) this ...
Celebrity Equinox: Library

(Oh, be still my beating heart.)

But as much as I love these truly unique pieces, a bookshelf does not have to be unique or even fancy to be wonderful. The most important factor in a truly magnificent bookshelf is that it hold lots of books, and by that I mean not that it must be huge, but that it must be packed to the brim with books.
Sitting room bookcase


My Bookshelf

Even plain old Ikea bookshelves can be wonderful as long as they are full of books. You see, it's not really about the bookshelves. It's all about arranging the books.
Brussels bookshelves

Which really means that it's all about packing books in wherever they will fit.
bookshelves


Mirror Hung on Bookcase

Okay, so the mirror is a bit of wasted space, but I'll forgive them because this may just be the prettiest dining room I have ever seen.

Of course, you can get all schnazzy and do something ambitious like this ...
bookshelf spectrum, revisited

Personally, I don't have the energy, but it is fantastic. Anyone want to come arrange all my books by color for me?

Anyone?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

I'm almost done here, but I ran across another photo that got me thinking about books, and reading, and cats.
Favorite Place - Bookshelf

I started thinking that it seems like there is a pretty strong correlation between book lovers and cat lovers. That is, almost everyone I know who loves books also loves cats. And almost everyone I know who does not love books either hates cats or is ambivalent toward them. I realize that there are probably exceptions to this rule, but in my experience this seems to be the case more often than not.

Interesting ...

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about bookshelves. And if you have enjoyed this little tour of beautifully collected books as much as I have, then you may want to do a Google search for "unique bookcase", or a Flickr search for "bookshelves". I even linked the searches there to save you a few minutes. I promise, this will keep you entertained for hours. Not that I would know. (I'm such an enabler.)

Oh, and by the way? Just one last thing before I go.

Don't even get me started on libraries ...
Ornate Bookcases


Austrian National Library


Admont Library (1776)


Recalling 1881...

(siiiighhhhh)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9/19/2010 9:35 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

the geek is building you bookshelves! How lovely!!!

Wouldn't that circular bookshelf be great if it were an arch... around a doorway.... ?

gorgeous great room - we have that same kennel. :)

 
At 2/06/2011 8:31 PM, Blogger Jan/lost-strayed-or-stolen.blogspot.com wrote:

When our house burned some years ago, the insurance adjuster told us,
no one outside of a library has $20000 worth of books. I told him, those are just the ones I can think of right now. We probably had twice that much.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home