Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Oh My ...

Monday, January 24, 2011


This is beyond fantastic.
Credit where credit is due: this is originally from theselby.com.
I found it at Winsome Hollow.

On another note, I may have gotten myself into a pickle regarding books to read. Someone at work who knows how I love reading suggested an author which after a series of brief conversations ended up with her coming to me with a stack of five books. I managed to convince her that I should only take the first one ... to start with.

I'm reading The Secret Garden (again) right now (still reading Emma (again) at work since I only get to read in 5-10 minute snippets at lunch) and I want to read Jane Eyre (again - anyone else noticing a pattern here?) before the movie comes out in March. So maybe I can fit this one in between there. My greatest concern is what I'll do if I don't like it. I know as soon as I return the first book, she'll be handing me the next. (This is the first of a series of five, which is followed by two more series of five and four respectively.)

On the other hand, maybe I'll love it and be begging for the next book in the series. I'm a little skeptical, but I would love to be surprised.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 1/25/2011 7:44 AM, Blogger Jeana wrote:

I've noticed I tend to reread old favorites in the winter. Comfort reading.

And if you hate the book you can tell your friend honestly that you have a stack of books at home you're making your way through and you can't finish the series right now. If you like it I'll look forward to a review!

 
At 1/25/2011 4:35 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

I can picture you RIGHT THERE in that photo. It's perfect!

The only one who ever gives me books to read I don't like is my sister. No. Wait. That USED to be true, but I kept telling her how much I hated them and why and then she totally got it because now I love every book she ever gives me. Hey! There's a moral in there somewhere...

 
At 1/30/2011 10:17 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

First: What is the series? Maybe I'll be interested.

Second: Read the first and then, if you're not into it, return it with an honest "thanks but no thanks."

Third: I know what you mean about re-reading favorites. Although, I've never read The Secret Garden. Thanks to our text conversation of a few weeks ago, however, I am looking forward to doing so with Sweet Girl. You know, she would probably love to read a chapter or two with you by phone. If you each have your book, then you could trade paragraphs or chapters or something. I think you'll be pleased by how well she reads aloud.

Fourth: Speaking of series that I think you might like, I would like to suggest
The Shop On Blossom Street
A Good Yarn
Back On Blossom Street
Twenty Wishes
Summer On Blossom Street
They are all written by Debbie Macomber and are centered around a knitting store in current day Seattle and intertwine the lives of the owners and customers. The reason I think you'll like it is the knitting/crafting connection and way the women's friendships. There is more to tell you about it, so if you're ever considering reading them, let me know first.

Fifth: I miss you.

 
At 1/30/2011 10:22 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Oh, and I have to add that I am consistently amazed by your desire to be absolutely surrounded by books. While I love them, I would be overwhelmed having that many around me at all times - it would feel like the weight of expectation would be overwhelming. Just the ones that I have here that I haven't read or mean to read sometimes makes me feel guilty. That's why I love the library - I go in search of my next good read and then return it. If I love it, then I buy it to keep. I'm not one who would or could keep every book that crosses my path. But I do love to retain the keepers. Along those lines, I still need to buy The Chronicles of Narnia. On paper. And for my Nook - probably.

 
At 1/30/2011 5:22 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

BG, I would love to read The Secret Garden with Sweet Girl. And I'm not at all surprised that she is a good reader since you've been reading with her pretty much all her life. I have her book sitting here waiting to be mailed, which I will do soon. It's so pretty I'm tempted to buy one for myself even though I have a perfectly good copy.

I'll keep the Debbie Macomber books in mind. Sounds like they could be fun. I enjoyed "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs which has a similar theme (knitting/crafting and women's friendships).

 
At 3/08/2011 7:00 PM, Blogger Jan/lost-strayed-or-stolen.blogspot.com wrote:

Our favorite books list is quite similar. I love that period, all the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, etc. And I reread them pretty much every winter. As Jeana says, comfort reading. Oh, I have to add the little house books, and Tolkein.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home