Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

European Vacation - Part 1

Thursday, August 04, 2011


In May, my husband's company offered him an exciting opportunity. They had acquired a company in Europe with offices in Holland and Germany, and wanted him to go there to lead the project to integrate the new acquisition's computer systems with their own.

The good – traveling to Europe, an exciting new project to work on, high-profile project with the opportunity to look really good in front of lots of important people. The not-so-good – he would be away from home for 9 weeks. 9 weeks is a really, really, r-e-a-l-l-y long time to be away from home.

He traveled from city to city, hotel to hotel, usually moving every 1 to 3 days, never settling in one place long enough to even bother unpacking. This was hard on him.

The hard part for me was not having him around. I eventually got used to him being gone at night – enough so that I could sleep reasonably well most nights. But I learned what it was like to expect a particular response from someone who is always there and be surprised when it doesn't happen. I thought of women who have lost their husbands, and those military wives whose husbands are gone for a year or longer and reminded myself to be glad I only had to wait a for 9 weeks.

There was some good that came out of this though: I was able to go join him for a European vacation. We went to Amsterdam and toured the canals; Bruges, Belgium and enjoyed the amazing architecture of a thousand years ago; Paris and saw the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Arc de Triomphe, and Versailles; and we spent a few days traveling around Germany, visiting and touring castles. It was a wonderful way to end a long time apart.

The vacation was so packed with things to do and sights to see that I'm going to break it up into a few posts, but suffice it to say for now, after a successful project on his part, and an amazing vacation for the two of us, I am so very glad to have him back home.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8/08/2011 4:40 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

9 weeks is a very long time...! i'm so glad you got a nice trip together out of it, though. and is that a new pic?! You're so cute!! new haircut or new pic? : )

 
At 8/08/2011 8:08 PM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Thanks, HM. It's both - new haircut and new pic. I've been growing out my old layers and bangs for what seems like forever. I'm almost there now. :)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home