Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

Coming Soon: NaNoWriMo

Saturday, October 08, 2011


According to their website, NaNoWriMo is starting in exactly 23 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes, and ... well, I got stuck there because it keeps counting down, but you get the idea.  I don't really know what I'm going to write this year.  I have a couple of ideas, but neither is well enough developed for me to fall in love with writing them yet.

And for those who have been around here for a while and remember that last year I spent November concentrating on editing an existing manuscript rather than writing 50,000 new words, the answer is no; that novel is not completely edited yet.  I've been working on it this year, but it needs some major help in certain parts and I'm feeling the need to get away from it for a little while with the hope of coming back to it later with a fresh eye.

My problem in the past has been that I envision a character that I really love and want to write their story, and I have an idea that I think would be really cool and fun to write, but there's no strong plot and I don't have a clue how it will end.  This year I want to know how the story will end and at least a few major points along the course of the plot before I get started.  I think this will make my 50,000 NaNoWriMo words much stronger and hopefully easier to edit later on.

So my writing focus for the next 23 days, 11 hours, 50 minutes and ... whatever ... is to come up with a keep-your-eyes-glued-to-the-page plot with a killer (not necessarily literally) ending, whether it be one of the ideas I'm already considering, or something entirely different.  Wish me luck!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10/10/2011 7:11 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

geekwif, the heroine of every november!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home