Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

It Hasn't Even Started And It's Already Keeping Me Awake

Monday, October 31, 2011


Just to get a couple of things out of the way before I start the real post:

1) There are still a few sites left to visit in my European Vacation series, and I will be posting them despite doing NaNoWriMo.  The next one (which will be up this week) is one of my favorites.

2) "Barton Hollow."  "The Civil Wars."  Fantastic.  Go.  Buy.  Or at least listen to a few songs on YouTube and see if you aren't instantly addicted. 

Okay.  Now on to the meat of this post.

Last night we went to bed at 9:30.  Normally we'd be in bed by 9:00, but the Geek had last week off and we got used to going to bed late and getting up late (about 6:30 or 7:00 for us as opposed to our normal 4:50). 

Then two voices started arguing with each other inside my head, keeping me awake.

One of them was very enthusiastically thinking about ideas, first lines, opening scenes, and characters for the NaNoWriMo novel that I can not start until midnight tonight.  The other was vehemently arguing against such nonsense, shouting that the plan this year is not to make any plans

Eventually I got tired enough to tell them both to shut up and managed to fall asleep.  But then I woke up at 2:00 am and did the whole thing over again.

It's a good thing NaNo starts soon.  I've heard that writers have a tendency toward insanity, and with two inner voices speaking to me, I'm afraid I may be heading that way.

P. S.  I should add that while having a voice in your head coming up with ideas for your novel would seem like a good thing, this one was not.  It was more like a very loud, small child yelling every random thought that comes to him.   Like this: Apple Jacks!  Fruit Loops!  Cardboard box!  Candy!  Pretty Rainbow!  Lightning!  Aaaahh!!

The last two words came when the other voice got so put out that it touched the first voice with a live wire.  And I can't blame the second voice for doing so.  It really was annoying.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 11/08/2011 9:47 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Voices arguing in your head. I think I may be frightened.

Of course, it does remind of that time at home group when I said to Jennifer, "you know that little voice inside your head telling you not to say that out loud? You should listen to it." ;-)

P.S. My verification word for this comment is "conchipu"... sounds like a Floridian pet name, doesn't it?

 
At 11/08/2011 9:52 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

Conchipu. Very nice. Wonder what that's a mix of?

 
At 11/08/2011 11:43 AM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Just looked at Barton Hollow link you posted. They will be in Milwaukee today and Mpls tomorrow. You going?


P.S.: comment word is fuitiono. I would pronounce that "few-shawn-o" myself. You?

 
At 11/08/2011 11:50 AM, Blogger Geekwif wrote:

No, not going. Driving all the way to Mpls for a concert on a weeknight by myself ... well there's three reasons not to go right there. I'm just enjoying listening to their CD.

P.S. If you pronounce all the letters of fuitiono individually (fu-ee-tee-o-no) it sounds Italian.

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home