Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

NaNo Update

Saturday, November 05, 2011


It's day 5 and I am currently at 7,352 words on my NaNoWriMo novel.  I wanted to put a word count widget on my blog like I usually do, but they don't seem to have them ready this year.  So I'll just keep posting my number here every now and then.

The story is going swimmingly.  Of course, I'm only a mediocre swimmer, so that might not mean what you think it means.  As I mentioned before, I started this story remarkably unprepared.  I am having fun with it, and I do think there is some value in just pounding out a sort of maelstrom of words onto the page whether or not they end up being useable or not in the end.  It gets the blood flowing to the brain, works the literary muscles, and hopefully will make me better able to go back and rewrite/edit past rough drafts later on.  That is assuming I don't wait until those literary muscles shrivel up again before I get started.

On the other hand, maybe I'll finish this and find out it's brilliant and only needs to be polished up and made pretty to become the latest, greatest novel on the shelves.  I'm not really counting on that, but it could happen.

Right?

So anyway ... at 1,667 words per day, I need to write a minimum of 983 more words before I go to bed tonight.  Guess I'd better get busy.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home