Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

NaNo Is Over And The Castles Are Coming

Sunday, December 04, 2011


I won.  Yup, that's right.  I won NaNoWriMo.  My final word count was 51,551 as of about 9:30 pm on November 30th.  Never mind that the NaNo image at the top of my page says 51,771.  It's a long story.  Not worth going into.

So, anyway ... I didn't actually finish the story in those 51,551 words, but I'm awfully close.  I just need to wrap up a few things.  The denouement, as it were.

Now as I think back on it I'm doing the whole "holy cow this is the worst book EVER" thing.  But I haven't actually read it, so I need to finish it, read it, and then decide if it really is the worst book ever or if it is worth editing.

Of course, I promised my Geek that he could read it this year.  I'm really bad about letting people read anything I write.  One little criticism and I'm convinced that the entire story is completely idiotic and start wondering why in the world I ever thought I could write anything worth reading in the first place.  And my Geek, he's the type who just sits down and writes and his first draft is wonderful, only a few tweaks needed here and there.  So we'll see.  Maybe a few edits before I pass it off to him.  Or if it really is the worst book EVER, maybe I'll let him read something else instead.

In other news, I have been horribly negligent with the remainder of the European Vacation photos.  Not that I feel awfully bad about it, what with writing a novel in a month and all.  So I'll be getting back to that very soon.  The castles are coming!  I promise.  And boy are they pretty.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12/04/2011 8:43 PM, Blogger Thumper wrote:

NaNo books are supposed to be horrible and bordering on the worst thing ever. That's what re-writes and editing are for. Last year I got my 50K in, cut 30K, wrote 100K more, cut 25, wrote 20 more, cut 10...until it was right.

No you can buy it on Amazon ;)

Finish it, then share it. A book not shared is a waste...

 
At 12/06/2011 12:56 PM, Anonymous HolyMama! wrote:

congratulations!!!!


and of COURSE it's worth editing, silly!

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home