Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

The Traveling Geek Phenomenon

Friday, July 27, 2012


My Geek has been in the UK for a week now.  He comes home tomorrow.  (Yay!!)

There's this phenomenon that happens every time he goes out of town on business: some crazy weird thing goes wrong that would never go wrong if he was here. 

There was the time when I dented the door of my car by side swiping a boulder in a bank parking lot because it was covered in snow and I couldn't see it. 

And the time the garage door fell apart and the bolt broke and I had to find a new one and fix the door myself. 

And then there was the time I locked myself out of the house and had to use my neighbor as a ladder to climb in through my kitchen window.  (Which required human contact at a level WAY beyond my comfort level.)

Oh yeah, and then there was the time I was awakened at midnight by my doorbell, which I did NOT answer because it was midnight and I was home alone and no one can hear you scream in the country.  And then I looked out the window after whoever it was finally drove away and thought I saw orange tail lights (is there even such a thing?) just hanging out on my driveway, so I called 911 because I was a more than a little freaked out that someone was just hanging out in their car on my driveway at midnight in the country.  Yes, after the fact I did feel a little foolish for calling 911 because there was a car on my driveway, but it's a darn good thing I did because it turned out that the orange light wasn't a car at all.  It was my neighbor's mailbox on fire.  (I have a really long driveway, and did I mention it was midnight?)

So yeah, weird things happen when he's gone.  Sometimes they're just weird random things and sometimes they are self-induced ... like this time.

I almost made it.  Just two days to go.  But last night I was sitting in my living room after starting a load of laundry and a load of dishes, when my wash machine started beeping in a very insistent manner, as if it was trying to tell me, "Something is definitely wrong here.  You'd better come take a look right now!"

So I did.  It was flashing the letters H and F alternately.  I had no idea what that meant, but I knew it wasn't good.  And then a light bulb slowly appeared over my head.  There was a slight chance I might have left the water on in the garden a few hours ago.  Living in the country, we don't have an unlimited supply of city water.  We have a well, which uses a pump and a holding tank to deliver water to our house.  If the holding tank runs dry we get no water.

I checked the bathroom faucet.  Sure enough, two little drips were all that came out.  So I went outside and shut off the water, severely berating myself with every turn of the handle.  Then I went down to the basement to flip the little L-shaped switch that resets the pump.  But nothing happened.  Did I flip it the wrong way?  I ran upstairs and tested a faucet. 

Drip drip. 

I thought maybe it would just take a while for the tank to have enough water to deliver to the faucet.  So I waited a while.  Tried again.

Drip drip.

Went downstairs and flipped the switch the other way.

Drip drip.

Meanwhile, I had just finished drinking a 12 ounce Coke Vanilla Zero in a glass of ice.  And it was too late to call a plumber.  It was a rough night, and that's all I have to say about that.

Except that the kitten didn't help make the night any better.  Did I mention there's a kitten in our lives now?  He's very cute, but he becomes an absolute monster at night, trying to claw and bite the flesh right off of my face or fingers or toes or any other body part that dares to attract his attention. 

All.  Night.  Long.

Thankfully this morning I was able to become conscious enough to get someone to come fix the pump switch thingy.  It got stuck somehow, but it's working now.  Soon I'll be able to take a shower, and finish washing those clothes and dishes which have just been sitting there stewing overnight.  Let me tell you, just washing my hands was an absolute delight.

My Geek has two more trips planned this summer.  I may be in serious trouble.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7/27/2012 4:58 PM, Blogger Dave Sherman wrote:

Even after having you tell me the story in our evening video chat, I was still laughing out loud as I read this! I sure am glad you can keep your sense of humor in these situations - or perhaps if not exactly IN the situation, then you regain it some time shortly thereafter.

 
At 7/28/2012 10:59 AM, Blogger aims wrote:

my friends who are military spouses all have the same issue when their man deploys. glad he'll be home soon (in a few hours right?)

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home