Geekwif
“When anybody asks, 'What are you writing about now?' if I try to reply, the book-in-the-works sounds so idiotic to me that I think, 'Why am I trying to write that puerile junk?' So now I give up; if I could talk about it, I wouldn't have to write it."
- Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

 

They're Not Clairvoyant, And I'm Not Very Bright

Tuesday, July 31, 2012


So, in our house, dinner time is TV time.  Yup.  We are one of those couples who eats dinner in front of the TV.  If that bothers you, then now might be a good time to look away for a bit.

Our show of choice lately has been The Big Bang Theory (recorded reruns, of course).   I mean, what do you expect?  We are the Geek and Geekwif afterall.

So we turned on the TV in order to queue up the show and the news was on.  They were talking about the massive power outage in India. 

Okay, let me backtrack slightly.  In case you haven't ever watched The Big Bang Theory, it is a hilarious show about four very smart, geeky scientist guys and their beautiful, non-geeky neighbor – think Friends with geeks.  One of them is Raj, a young astrophysicist from India who is living in the U.S.

So back to the news.  They were talking about this power outage in India that affected 670 million people or something like that.  Crazy.  My first thought (after "holy crud!") was "I wonder if Raj will talk about this on the show tonight."

My next thought was, "Seriously?  That's what you get from this?"

Okay, now let's break down a small sample of the plethora of reasons why this is so very, very screwed up.

1)  Hello!?  It's a sitcom, taped in front of a live studio audience LONG before I ever see the show.  As such, they would have to be clairvoyant, or prophetic, or whatever you want to call it, in order to talk about an event that is happening on the day I see the show.

2)  Uh, hello!?  It's a recorded rerun!  Which just compounds problem number 1.

3)  Hello again!?  Raj isn't real!  His family isn't real!  They rarely (if ever) talk about real events going on in the real world.

4)  I'm a total doofus.

Now, in my defense, it was a fleeting thought.  Very, very fleeting.  As in the subsequent thought of "Seriously?" nearly overlapped the end of the stupid thought of "Will Raj talk about this?"

But still.  I thought it.  And now I'm sharing it with you.  I'm not sure why exactly.  Perhaps I'm in a bit of a self-deprecating mood tonight.  Or maybe I wanted to make you all feel better about the times you've done something similar.

Please, please tell me you've done something similar.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7/31/2012 8:09 PM, Blogger Blond Girl wrote:

Oh yes. I clearly remember doing exactly something like that. Only... I don't remember what I said or what I said about it. But I remember Champs and me both cracking up over the absurdity as soon as it escaped my lips.

And then there was that time I prayed about what I would want if I were a girl...

Yes, I've done it. Feel better?

 

Post a Comment

I'm having trouble with word verification so all comments will now go through moderation. Don't worry. I check my email often so it won't take long before your comment shows up.

<< Home